Monday, July 23, 2007

Bandit - Partners In Crime (1978)

Like Finch, UK's Bandit are mostly remembered for their connection to AC/DC, this time being the former band of bassist, Cliff Williams. After Williams departed his prior band, Home, he and vocalist Jim Diamond drafted a few other musicians for their new project, Bandit. Arista Records were quick to show interest and by 1977, their self-titled debut had hit record store shelves. Sales were slow and minimal, prompting a return to the studio in 1978, which yielded "Partners In Crime". Though the debut was bluesy hard rock, this album saw the band evolving toward a softer AOR sound. Again sales were weak and when AC/DC requested Cliff's services in 1979, he quickly bailed and Bandit were finished. Members defected to Buck's Fizz in the following years.

The album here is patchy at best, but there are a number of highlights which see the band in fine form, most notably the impressive vocals of Diamond. Lying somewhere between schmaltzy balladry and journeyman hard rock, "Partners In Crime" is a bit schizophrenic in its delivery. Despite its shortcomings, the album is worthy of mention here simply because of its rarity and connections with AC/DC. Fans of Williams will be surprised to hear this side of him. Download and ejoy this one!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This album starts out the way I was expecting it, judging by the album cover. 'Stick Around' has a great groove and the guitars are riff driven. The singer has that perfect voice for rock 'n roll.
'Love Song' is another favorite of mine. Great melodic rock'n roll with a great hook. The same goes for 'Rocker'. I love this album when It rocks. 'Best of You' - a slow rocker that leans towards how Whitesnake sounded around the same time.
Unfortunately the more slick pop/rock songs on here have a tendensy to sound a tad dull.

Anonymous said...

I think you might be referring to a different lineup for Bandit. The people you refer to, do not appear on 'Partners In Crime'. The LP lineup (in front of me) is as follows:

Gerry Trew - vocals
Danny McIntosh - guitars
Tony Lester - bass
Theodore Thunder - drums

This album is also reviewed over at the GLORY-DAZE website. www.glory-daze.com

JKR said...

Thanks for the clarification...I no longer own a hard copy of the album so I was basing my research on what little I could find online. Your correction is duly noted! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff!! Keep on posting them!!

Best

Robert Pally

Anonymous said...

...and maybe an aluminum cat...

fairplaybeach said...

I agree with Higgenz... High on Your Love and One Way Love got some airplay in my town... but some of the songs he mentions are good stuff...

fairplaybeach said...

Thanks for the download! That's much better than my scratchy lp version...

fairplaybeach said...

I don't know if this helps much but here's Bethnal - Crash Landing... but just one song in wav form... I also have two other songs: Nothing New and Odd Man Out if it does...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TS4BD80G

Anonymous said...

Good LP, both are. A great band, I saw them supporting PAICE ASHTON & LORD in '77 and they rocked. The line up given is from the first album, but the "correct" line up given by Mr anonymous isn't necessarily right! I have two copies of "Partners In Crime" both have different covers and have different guitarists listed!

Anonymous said...

I`m listening to it right now and so far I`m really liking what I`m hearing
Miguel

Anonymous said...

Very good album, your copy sounds a little better than mine, thanks for the download.

Anonymous said...

Danny McIntosh is the only common denominator from the original lineup. It's easy to say he should have just had it be a new band, but it's not uncommon for some bands to retain one original member who isn't even the lead vocalist. After this, I think he met his old lady Kate Bush.
I saw the LP for this at a dealer in a flea market 25 miles away from home. I wanted to see the label as well. I didn't buy it because I like the old lineup better.

John Sposato said...

23/7/07 was me.
If I go to that flea market again, J, I could buy this LP and mail it to you if you like, even though you're trying to see albums to get that hard rive. I don't have enough that I wanna part with to almost afford such a thing!

John Sposato said...

Never mind. That date wasn't me!
I managed to get almost all the Denny Laine albums.