Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Roxx - Get Your Roxx Off (1976)

Minnesota's Roxx is one of the most elusive and obscure acts I've encountered in my many years of music research and collecting. Formed presumably in the early 70's, Roxx issued only one privately pressed album, "Get Your Roxx Off", in 1976 and literally vanished shortly after. I can't tell you anything about the personnel, the history or the current whereabouts of the band. What I can tell you is this grungey and dated effort is brimming with whiskey soaked bluesy hard rock. With slurred vocals, loose arrangements, swirling organs and a slapdash production job (complete with patchy cover art), Roxx are the classic example of homegrown rough hewn mid 70's rock and roll. Most of the material is played with energy and conviction, though the writing almost sounds improvised. This shortcoming aside, "Get Your Roxx Off" deserves to be here simply for its rarity and gruff charm. If anyone has more information on Roxx, please contact me here and I'll gladly expound on this post. In the meantime, check out Roxx...

4 comments:

micksguitar said...

how do get this stuff. well never mind please keep doing it. a great lp. thanx mick.

Anonymous said...

Not my very favorite rock style. This is hard boogie rock! No doubt though, Roxx rocks! Amazing stuff!

Anonymous said...

I don't like roxx :( glad others do :) i see great posts again here this week ronnie, if i have time i'll check them trough, Haze - Hazecolour dia 1971 "my weeks favorit" greetz and a nice weekend from Brussels ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sending a link to one of the band members, Don Jamieson, who is a personal friend of mine, lol.