Saturday, August 18, 2007

Claw - Diggin' In (1978)

Claw's backstory is murky at best, but it's believed that the Illinois band came together in the early 70's. They issued a privately pressed album, "Diggin' In" in 1978 and remained in virtual obscurity until eventually folding a few years later. The current activities of the band members are not known.

"Diggin' In" is a real rarity among collectors, though it should be noted that it is likely due to the elusiveness of the record itself moreso than the quality of the music. Quite honestly, the album is a pedestrian blues based hard rock affair with substandard vocals, one dimensional writing and flat production. The band's absolute butchery of "Eleanor Rigby" is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The songs are merely jams rather than fully fleshed songs. If the musicianship had been stellar, perhaps my opinion would be different, but this is not the case. In the end, Claw sounds like a weaker and lighter Roxx. Since this blog is meant to bring obscurities to the surface, I've included it here for your judgement. Here's "Diggin' In".

13 comments:

space88 said...

Hello
A great Album.I have it but only at 128 kb,So this one is a bit better.Thanks
Andre
ps.Have you the first Missouri?

Anonymous said...

thanx a lot for all your great sharings.
your blog is one of the best :-)

greetings from germany !

Anonymous said...

I totaly agree with you Ronnie, had this for sometime myself and am not at all impressed with their efforts. Imho it's a pretty lame "lowfi" jammingsession the whole album, but maybe someone like their stuff so i'm not the one to judge.

Anonymous said...

Falls a bit short, but there are some stanout tracks here. Great blog Ronnie!, probably the best. Keep up the great work as always.

Anonymous said...

Hell, i dowloaded some albums from u and this was the best i heard yet~

thanks you

Anonymous said...

I really like this album. To me it rocks. If only the sound was better....
Miguel

Anonymous said...

Sharebee sucks - cannot access content without agreeing to install a bunch of malware; then not able to download anyway.

Unknown said...

Greeting from Illinois. What a treat to listen to this single. My father is the singer and drummer heard on this album. He wrote 7 of the 10 tracks. He was an amazing artist and I miss him dearly. Love ya Pop-Pop~

Anonymous said...

It has been a few yrs but Larry Baker was my uncle. this album really was just for him and friends. thanks for listen and appreiecate the comments.

Unknown said...

Ronnie you are a pretentious asshole. Your way to demolish this band is simply pitiful. Stay a geek and forget rock'n roll

JKR said...

Hi Unknown, I sure do appreciate the hateful feedback! It's your opinion and I've got a thick enough skin to live with it. My blog is one man's opinion as well. See how that works?

Bram Ananta said...

Very interesting blog.
When I read about Storm (Jeanette Chase), I fall in love with this blog and want to read more and more and more.
Wondering where the new posts in 2018-2020 are?
I want to read 'em all!

Bram Ananta said...

Very interesting blog.
When I read about Storm (Jeanette Chase), I fall in love with this blog and want to read more and more and more.
Wondering where the new posts in 2018-2020 are?
I want to read 'em all!