Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Thundermug - Strikes (1972)

Thundermug's debut, "Strikes", is mostly known for having spawned their only hit single, "Africa". In truth, most of the album's remaining tracks are superior to the single as evidenced by the trilogy suite, "Page 125 / What Would You Do? / Help Father Sun" among others. This is pretty sprawling stuff considering the audience they were targeting at the time. It's difficult to find a real standout among the band's 70's output, since each album was distinctly different from the other. In any case, this album demands your attention from start to finish. I recommend you visit excellent fellow blogger XXXRockrula for Thundermug's final 70's album, "Ta-Daa".

I'll be posting both of Thundermug's 90's albums in the coming days, so be sure to visit again. In the meantime, grab this sucker and rock out Canadian style!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, I was wondering if you could find a cd. Tom Wopat(The guy from Dukes Of Hazzard) released a cd called A Little Bit Closer in the early 80's. It's a good rock album that I haven't been able to find anywhere. I don't know if you have any connections or how you find your music but if you could hunt it down somehow. I have been looking for it for 10 + years.

I dig your website, there tons of band I haven't heard in years and most of them are on here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post.
I thought I had this LP but the one I own, called 'Strikes', was released in 1973 and is actually a kind of compilation of THUNDERMUG's first two LPs.
I'm all the more grateful to you then!
POPPHIL

JKR said...

Yes, you own the US edition of "Strikes". Epic Records decided to take select tracks from the band's 1st & 2nd albums to create their own domestic version of "Strikes". Leave it to us americans to make things difficult! :)

Anonymous said...

I also have the US vinyl release of Strikes plus the U.S. vinyl release of Ta-daa! Now thanks to you and that other blog, I've got Thundermug's complete 70s output. Thanks! Right off the bat I noticed that the song "Orbit" is an alternate version than what I'm used to hearing. Great posts!

Anonymous said...

share the wealth! it's highly unlikely their 70's catalogue will ever see the light of day on cd unless the guy who owns the masters ever allows it. as far as i know, the only song that ever saw any official release on cd was "africa".

by the way, i'm pretty sure there are a couple of 7" only songs that were released, at least one of which was after "ta-daa".

nice blog, by the way...

Scott said...

Love what I've heard of Thundermug so far! I've tried getting on the one site which has their "Ta-Daa" album on it, but it's only for invited readers only. How can I gain access to the download? If I could find it, I would be very happy.