Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Thundermug - Orbit (1973)

Thundermug were a quirky hard rock band from Ontario who released a handful of albums in the early 70's before splitting in 1976. Their sole charting single, "Africa", came early in 1972 and the band spent the remainder of their career trying to match its success. It's quite surprising that they didn't, because much of the material was strong and very unique. With pitch-perfect vocals, powerful guitars and a vacuum tight rhythm section, Thundermug were an incredibly distinct sounding band. As it often happens, the band has found more accolades in the years since their initial breakup than they ever did during their brief career. The band did manage to reunite in the late 80's and release two more albums before calling it quits for good.

Their albums are difficult to locate and with just a few short pages in the Canadian history books, Thundermug has seemingly become a mere blip on the radar. In an effort to fix that problem, I'm posting this clean vinyl rip of their 2nd album, "Orbit". Fans of hard rock, glam and power pop should eat this one up. This is fabulous stuff. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Many thanks for the THUNDERMUG posts. I already have the Strikes LP but had never seen or heard their second LP.
I'm a sucker for early-to-mid 70s power pop: ARTFUL DODGER, CIRCUS, APRIL WINE...
Thanks again.
POPPHIL

Anonymous said...

I'm downloading this one now. Thanks so much! I love Thundermug, but have only heard their first album. I've been looking for the others far ages, and now gladly I've found the 2nd thanks to you, and the third is on naother blog. Awesome!

Jason T. Carter said...

Never heard of Thundermug before, but this album is great. I like it better than Strikes, but both are very good.

Anonymous said...

I have to said that I don`t like this band, and the worst for me is the vocals (i just don`like it).
Miguel

Anonymous said...

A thousand thank-yous for turning me on to THUNDERNMUG. I have been rolling "Strikes" and "Orbit" non-stop. Had I known about this band growing up they would have ranked among my favorite 70s hard rock bands like KISS, Angel, Starz, The Sweet....

Anonymous said...

i did lighting for this band years ago,great guys great band what about Butch?