Friday, June 22, 2007

Dialogue - Dialogue (1972)

Dialogue is an extremely obscure Philadelphia duo who issued an impressive self-titled private pressing in 1972. Two subsequent pressings were reissued in 1974, then the duo virtually fell off the map. What they managed to leave behind is a highly evolved and sophisticated collection of songs that recall everything from 60's psychedelic to 70's power pop. To be accurate, however, these songs were slightly left of center with a skewed sense of melody and angular harmonies. The result is a challenging album filled with sublime hooks that seep through over repeated listenings. While it is true that copies of the album are literally impossible to locate, this vinyl rip does more than enough to illustrate the essence of Dialogue. Please pardon the lower bitrate, but at this time I have nothing better. I did do some cleaning up and slight mastering myself to insure the best possible listening experience. Download and be challenged. Dialogue may not be ear candy, but it's certainly not throwaway pabulum. Check it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good stuff overall.
Thanks for the discovery.
POPPHIL

Anonymous said...

This is 'ear candy" to me... The "angular" harmonies and "skewed' melodies serve up a very interesting sound. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I really like the song, 'On Every Shore'!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic record. Reminds me at times on the Left Banke!

Robert

Anonymous said...

Sigh... I've tried 4 times to download, and all I get is 149K before the d/l fails with an error. Never had an issue with Megaupload before. Is it just me??

- michael

Anonymous said...

Re: download popup error:

"Dialogue.rar.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."

Fyi, I've tried over a 3 days.

Regards,

- michael

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Jim, the one on the left of the Dialogue turntable. We didn't "fall off the map" until the middle of 1977. Then, we went our separate ways. Our first live performance was with Janice Ian in early 1974 at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA. Subsequently, we toured all over the East and mid-West. So, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. "On Every Shore" is one of my favorites too. Jim