Friday, June 22, 2007

Stingray - Stingray (1979)

South Africa's Stingray was a short-lived AOR act who managed two albums before folding in the early 80's. This, their debut, is chock full of pomp rock with infectious melodies and lush harmonies. Sounding eerily American, Stingray should've been poised for international success, but fate had other plans. Though both albums had very strong chart activity in their homeland, there was no crossover success to support the band's long-range aspirations and the band split up after continuous frustration. Despite their short run in the business, Stingray have left behind a wealth of memorable and well written AOR songs. Need an example? Wait no further and download this clean vinyl rip in full digital glory. You'll be glad you did!

8 comments:

José Viruete said...

If I remember, they did this and "LoveSaver" and that was all, isn't it? Great upload!
I'm one of those "hit & run" guys, but let me assure you that I really apreciate your work and enjoy the selection.
Now, if you can upload Elevator by The Rollers you'll make my day and my week! :)

JKR said...

Stingray did a followup in 1981 called "Operation Stingray". I think that was the last anyone ever heard from them. "Elevator" will be coming here soon. Thx for the positive words!

Anonymous said...

Phew! My copy only had the 'alternate' version of "Better The Devil You Know", so the one that opened this kinda caught me by surprise. Great album and great blog!

Anonymous said...

I`ve been listening to these two albums for about one weak, and i really like booth, but, as you, I the firt one is better for me.
Miguel

FuNkAdeLiC said...

infectious melodies * lush harmonies indeed...how gr8 is this. Many thanx 4 sharing!!

Ahole Atheist said...

Great band with some great songs to be sure! I remember reading somewhere that the drummer lost a leg in a shark bite incident.

Treesandlps said...

Just acquired their debut in a batch of lps. Only reason I listened to the album is I read on the sleeve that it was recorded in SA and I'm an ex-pat! Glad I did. Won't be selling it at the next Record Fair.

Victor said...

Need a re-up please!

Thanks a lot!