Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mentors - Get Up and Die (1982)

The Mentors debut was an EP known as "Get Up and Die", which Mystic Records released in 1982. The four track record created a wave of publicity for the band and it wasn't long before they were packing clubs all along the west coast. The material here is some of the band's strongest, as the rape rock gimmick was still new and fresh.

In addition to the four tracks originally found on the EP, I've added the elusive "Police Hotel" track from the 1984 compilation, "The Sound of Hollywood". The version of this recording has never been featured on any other release. Rounding out the tracklist, I've added eight rare demo recordings done by the band in 1981. There are several featured that have never been released on any Mentors album.

Though I'm not an ardent hardcore Mentors fan, I've always enjoyed some of their more clever moments on record. The band's discography have never been given proper treatment and perhaps it's that reason alone that I include some of their more elusive work here. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE MENTORS!!!YES!
This gotta be the first blog to post em!!!
If you can, please post more of em!!
THANKS!!
TommyGun.

JKR said...

I will do that! Keep an eye peeled for some more rare Mentors music. I have tons :)

Anonymous said...

Finding this made my day especially for the rarities I didn't have before (track 5 & onward). Cheers!

russ said...

wow....i thought i had all the mentors rarities - but never heard that 1981 demo! Sorta bridges the gap between side of Sex Drugs, Rock n Roll (supposedly recorded in 77) and the Mystic stuff

thanks for sharin!

Anonymous said...

About the "Get up and die" record...same vinyl rips that is floating everywhere on the internet. Thanks for wasting my time asshole. If you don't own a phisical copy of a record, and if it's not your own rips...don't fuckin' post it moron.

JKR said...

Leave it to an anonymous pussy to mouth off & whine like a child b/c he doesn't like the quality of the audio. I never claimed it was my rip, but there are plenty of people who are glad to have this copy. Ass hat!

Unknown said...

yeah...The Mentors are super hard to find, I have them on vinyl but I've been looking for digi copies...

struck said...

I also have a huge mentor collection can u post a list of your rare items maybe I'll have something u will want as well.